Grassroots Activities for Single Payer Activists
1. Endorsements of SB 810 (Mark Leno)
- City Councils
- County Boards of Supervisors
- School Boards
- County Labor Federations
- Labor unions
2. Tabling Locations and/or Leafletting Locations
- Farmers markets
- Street festivals
- Shopping centers
3. Writing Activities
- Letters to the Editor
- Host monthly letter-writing house parties directed at legislators/newspapers
4. Street Theater
- Dress up as injured/ill patients, march around, distribute leaflets about insurance company denials, pre-existing conditions, etc.
- Men dress in suits or tuxedos/big cigars; women dress in evening clothes/dressy suits, have monopoly money sticking out of pockets, purses, necklines, etc. Distribute leaflets thanking people for paying high premiums, going without procedures and medicine so insurance company CEO’s can get millions + per year.
- Candle light vigils on behalf of the uninsured.
- “Die-ins” at local Emergency Departments/Trauma Centers — explain the plight of the uninsured.
6. Movie Parties
- PBS Documentary
7. Fundraising Activities — contribute money to CaliforniaOneCare or Health Care for All-California
- House parties
- Dinner parties
- Sell items on Ebay
8. “House Calls” — conduct a door-to-door California OneCare Campaign
- Survey health insurance status
- Fundraise for California OneCare
- Inform/educate about SB 810
9. Use local cable access TV to show California OneCare Video and/or ads from the 365-Video Ad Campaign
10. Place informational ads in local newspapers